Apply for licenses and permits

You can find a list of our charges for council services, including charges for licenses and permits, on our council fees and charges page. 

Here are the charges for our Civic Government Licences.

Please use this form if you wish to make any changes to your civic government licence.

If you are not applying online, payments can be made by telephone; BACS or cheque (made payable to Ƶapp Council). Please contact the Licensing Office on 01546 604128 or email licensing@argyll-bute.gov.uk

For further information regarding any Licensing issues please contact the Council's Licensing Department on 01546 604128 or email: licensing@argyll-bute.gov.uk

Short term lets licence

Ƶapp has a licence scheme in place for short term lets, as required by Scottish Government legislation. If you are starting up a short term let business, or are already running one, here is information on what you should do to ensure you are operating legally.

Skip Permit

If you need to place a builders skip on the road or footway you must complete and read the necessary application forms.

Small Lotteries Licence

The Society in question must be set up for non-commercial purposes e.g sports, cultural or charitable and must not be used for personal gain.

Storage and Sale of Fireworks and Other Explosives

If you intend to sell adult (category F2 & 3) fireworks to consumers you must first obtain a storage licence from Trading Standards. If you intend to sell adult fireworks all year round you must also obtain an all-year sales licence from Trading Standards. It is your responsibility to keep within the law and to have systems in place that will act as a 'due diligence' defence to an allegation that a sale has taken place to a person under the minimum legal age.

Street Café

A licence is required to use a portion of a public street, road or place for the sale of food and drink and for the placing of tables, chairs or other temporary furniture outside a restaurant or cafe for patrons to use whilst consuming food and drink.

Street Signs

Any business or service provider who wishes to erect commercial displays that project into the street or onto the pavement to publicise an enterprise or sell articles, must apply for a permit/licence to do so.
Note: in general the footpaths in Ƶapp are narrow which restricts the number of locations where these requests will be granted.

Street Trader’s Licence

A street trader licence is needed by any person who carries on street trading, to any person in a public place in or from a vehicle, kiosk or moveable stall, whether on their own account or as an employee.

Tattooing and Skin and Body Piercing Licence

To run any form of skin piercing or tattooing business including acupuncture, ear and body piercing and electrolysis (whether from premises or leased premises/room), a licence must be obtained from your local authority.

Theatre Licence

Any person operating premises where they intend to use it for public performance of any play require to be licensed by the Local Authority. This is a requirement under the Theatres Act 1968.

Venison Dealer’s Licence

The Deer (Scotland) Act 1996 requires that all those that deal in venison in Scotland must be licensed. It is an offence for any person to sell, offer or expose for sale venison unless they are a licensed venison dealer or selling to or has purchased from a licensed venison dealer.

Did you find what you were looking for?

Why wasn't this information helpful

Limit to 250 characters.