Council tax - making payments

How to pay online, set up a direct debit, pay by post or pay in person

There are several ways you can pay council tax:


  • You will need your Council Tax reference number to register your account and to make payments - you can find this on your bill

Direct Debit 

Setting up a Direct Debit

  • Download and complete a Direct Debit form
    • Completed forms should be emailed to ctax1@argyll-bute.gov.uk or posted to Ƶapp Council, Kintyre House, Snipefield Industrial Estate, Campbeltown PA28 6SY
    • You can choose to pay monthly on the 1st or 15th of the month, or weekly on a Thursday. You will need your Council Tax reference number to set up or amend your direct debit - you can find this on your bill or if you don’t have a bill you can request it by calling us on 01546 605511 or e-mailing us at ctax1@argyll-bute.gov.uk 
    • Council Tax is a charge that is calculated on a daily basis. This means that you will have to pay for every day that you are responsible for the property. If you pay monthly, the charge is then divided into 10 monthly installments under statute, starting 1 April to 1 January, with no payments being made in February or March. If a monthly Direct Debit is chosen you then have the option to make payments on the 1st or the 15th of each month.
    • If you wish to pay Council Tax over 12 monthly installments per annum then please let us know by e-mailing ctax1@argyll-bute.gov.uk or calling us on 01546 605511 and it will be arranged. 

Cancelling a Direct Debit

You can cancel a Direct Debit at any time by contacting your Bank or Building Society or cancelling it in your online bank or building society account.  Please let us know you have done this by contacting us on 01546 605511 or e-mailing us at ctax1@argyll-bute.gov.uk

On the phone

  • Call 01546 605515 to make a payment by phone using a debit or credit card
  • This payment line is now open 24/7 to take council tax payments, just have your council tax reference number ready when you call.

At a post office or PayPoint

  • You can use your Council Tax Payment Card to pay at any Post Office or anywhere that there is a PayPoint service
  • To find your nearest PayPoint outlet visit and type in your postcode

Council tax enquiries

Did you find what you were looking for?

Why wasn't this information helpful

Limit to 250 characters.